Oneness of God
“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Attributes of God
- Uncreated Creator
- All knowing
- All present (fully everywhere)
- All powerful
- Eternal (no beginning/no end)
Holy (quadosh): transcendent, completely other, UNIQUE
Where things get messy for Christians
There are three, to whom these attributes are attributed in Scripture: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit
The problem: How can there be three who are truly holy, unique, etc.? How can we say that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are God, and yet also say there is one God? Before we delve into the answer to this question, let us look at…
A Seeming Contradiction in the Bible
God is Invisible (biblical shorthand for transcendent).
- Exodus 33.20: No man can see God and live.
- John 1.18: No man has seen God at any time.
- 1 Ti. 1.17: To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen
- 1 Ti. 6.16: who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.
And yet, people SAW God!
- Hagar, Ge. 16.13: 13 So she called the name of the Lord who spoke to her, “You are a God of seeing,” for she said,“Truly here I have seen him who looks after me.”
- Jacob, Ge. 32.30: So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered.”
- Moses, Ex. 33.11: Thus the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.
It seems confusing, but herein lies the key to our puzzle of the Trinity.
The Human comparison
Lousy images: 3 peas in one pod; shell, yolk, yellow, but one egg; skin, meat, seed, but one peach; ice, liquid, vapor, but all water b)father, husband, son, but one man
A More Biblical Image
What, according to the Bible, is made in the image of God? Of course, humanity!
- The invisible you (Father)
- The visible you (Son)
- The influencing you (Spirit).
- But, there are not THREE yous, there is only ONE you!
ONE GOD – the revealer, the revealed, the revealedness
God became flesh:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
You might be asking, “So what?”
“He is the image of the invisible God.”
- Jesus loves you. God loves you.
- Jesus gave himself to rescue you.
- God gave himself to rescue you.
- Jesus promises you eternal life in him.
- God promises you eternal life in him.
All this is true because THERE IS ONE GOD.
How might our witness change
“All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: ‘Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel’(which means, God with us).”